Mar 5, 2008

"You're motorin'! What's your price for flight?"

I'm going to contend that I'm the first person ever who's broken into laughter while reading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. Blood Meridian is not funny. At all. In fact, it's the sort of book that makes you forget that good things exist. It's a beautiful display of ugliness that makes Diane Arbus seem downright glamorous, that's what how dark it is.

But, as I was reading it on the train last night, I couldn't help but laugh as I heard something a bit... familiar.

"Sister Christian oh the time has come..."

What the fuck?

"And you know that you're the only one..."

A gang of five or so salarymen (and one salarywoman) had turned the Kesei line into their own little karaoke box. This makes sense, as trains tend to be just like karaoke boxes, except for the fact that they don't have booze or music, and tend to be full of strangers.

I busted up laughing, forgetting the depressing, violent, dark book I was reading. Oddly, I seemed to be the only one on the train who found this funny.

Japan seems determined to sing at me.
'Tis nifty.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I love that song. And now I'm going to listen to it... All day long!

Anonymous said...

Dude, that's awesome. And funny...